October 4, 2012 by Fred Hosier
An employee was electrocuted while working to restore power to a pumping station. OSHA heard about the fatality and investigated. The agency says workers lacked safety gear. The investigation determined the employee came into contact with energized electrical parts. The electrocution occurred in April.
OSHA says Halcon Resource Corp. of Electra, Texas failed to adequately train employees in the hazards of electrical repairs near energized equipment.
The company now faces two willful and seven serious OSHA fines. The serious citations are for failing to:
- provide training on safe work practices, and
- provide electrical protective equipment, such as gloves, for employees performing maintenance work.
The serious violations include failure to:
- provide specific lockout/tagout procedures
- ensure energy sources of electrical equipment are locked out before performing maintenance
- test electrical personal protective equipment
- ensure only qualified personnel perform testing and maintenance on electrical equipment.
The proposed penalties total $189,000.
The company has 15 business days to contest the fines.
Halcon Resources is a Houston-based oil and gas servicing company and does business as WG Operating.